friday five responses - end o summer

1. Share a highlight from this summer. Fishing an inlet off Coast Guard Beach during our week at Cape Cod. It was a LONG walk out there, and the first time out we carried way too much, so it sort of became a survival trek (which warranted the purchase of large rootbeer floats on the drive back to the cottage). All along the beach we were joined by seals. Most fishermen hate to see them, but I always feel like we are all fellow fishercreatures. OK they have way better tackle than I do, but we are all out for the same thing. You feel like you are tiptoeing into this complex, perfectly balanced eco-system.

2. Are you glad to see this summer end? Sort of. I was laid off in early June when our program lost its funding. Glory to God, we have wanted for nothing, but the specter of the job search has hung over my head all summer. August has been lousy with cover letters and interviews. It will be good to finally find a new classroom and end the uncertainty. Also the water in my local fishing spots has been way too warm. As the temperature goes up, the nitrates from the sewage plants in the bay rise and swallow up all the oxygen. Most of the fish high tail it to deeper waters. The guys with boats can catch fish all summer, but we surf rats troll for slim pickings until September's cooler currents wash through.

3. Name one or two things you’re looking forward to this fall.
Meeting my new students
Appointment with the Bishop

4. Do you have any special preparations or activities to mark the transition from one season to another?
This year I made a special summer liqueur. We'll polish off the last of it this weekend, I guess.
Also, my partner will be starting choir again soon, so we have one last opportunity to sit together in church until June.

5. I’ll know that fall is really here when ________. I have papers to mark.

1 comment:

Sally said...

well played- I love the fishing story- I like seals- but then I don't fish.
Prayers for the job search.